Monday, October 31, 2011

The Art of Racing in the Rain

I'm glad to see that Evan is back on board with his posts.  Although, he's gone a bit high brow....showing off all his fancy schooling.  So I'll take a step back.

This book (The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein) is not literature.  It's probably sneered at by English major types.  There's not a hidden meaning (that I can get).  There's some metaphor, for sure, but no "the dog represents the pain of giving birth" type stuff.  I think.  It's just there.  A simple story that makes you think about things a little bit differently.  I challenge you to read this book and not cry a little bit.

Even more so, I challenge you to read this book and not feel a little bit inspired.  I finished it a week ago.  The feeling that I lack a true goal in my life has subsided.  A bit.  But, in a way, I feel one step closer to finding it.  Hopefully.

How did the Renaissance men do it?  Would DaVinci be writing computer code during the daytime and banging out street art at night if he were around today?  Are there any truly successful modern people that aren't completely and totally focused on one narrow path?  Besides Justin Timberlake.  And maybe Shawn White.

No comments:

Post a Comment