Monday, December 12, 2011

Best of

This is the year that I really started to feel a bit old when it comes to music.  Like it was an effort to keep on top of things.  Like the kids are listening to bands I've never heard of.  I don't really like that. 


Songs (that didn't have albums to match)

Wugazi - Sleep Rules Everything Around Me

When I first heard about the Wugazi album I just freaked right out.  I had higher expectations, as a whole.  Sleep Rules Everything Around Me shows the promise of this concept.

Yacht - Shangri-La
This is my favourite song of 2011.  It reminds me of the slow jams that I listened to throughout my childhood.  Radio NL, the greatest hits of all time.  It's a bit Afternoon Delightish.  Just an extremely catchy and beautiful song.


Albums (the obvious ones)

Panda Bear - Tomboy and Atlas Sound - Parallax

I listened to both of these a lot.  See?  Obvious.


Albums (the less obvious ones)

Louis CK - Hilarious
Did this even come out this year?  I really enjoyed this album as it made me think about a few things for a few hours afterwards.  I can't really remember what they were, but it really resonated at the time.

Fucked Up - David Comes to Life
I remember trying to explain to somebody a few years ago that a great album can be created in just a few moments.  The 5 seconds in the middle of a song that make you want to listen to the whole album.  Of course, you need an album to support those 5 seconds.  Without the album, you're just going to yell at BTO to get "workin' overtime".  To dig way into the past, I think the Unicorns were a band that really captured these moments.  The Fiery Furnaces as well.  This album, while not quite on that level, does a spectacular job of capturing moments and sprinkling them throughout.

Wu Lyf - Go Tell Fire to the Mountain
This is really the only thing this year that came out of nowhere (well...Pitchfork) and got me really excited.  I honestly didn't know what language they were speaking the first time I heard it.  I was worried that the live show was going to bring the whole thing crashing down but it actually made everything better (although I've only listened to the album once since then).

See what I was saying at the top?  That's a pretty sad list right there.

2 comments:

  1. For me it's "Shame on Blue" on the Wugazi album where it all comes together. Just, you know, ODB doing his thing and trading off with the Guy who "invented emo"--singing "I'm not playing with you" all menacing like--it's a fucking brilliant song.

    Then right after that it's the one seriously questionable choice on the album, the Ne-Yo "Back Like That" thing. Another one of Ghostface's failed singles. I want to say they should have left this one alone, since there's such better Wu-TAng source material to draw from. But the song is kind of growing on me. Nu soul vocals over post punk. It's jarring, anyway.

    I forgot to mention the Fucked Up album. Thought it was pretty good. Though I didn't really pay too much attention to the whole concept side of it.

    You listen to either of the Friedberger's (Fiery Furnaces) solo albums? I haven't yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fucked Up - I followed the concept through the first few songs, but then it disappears for me. There's some really great songs on this album.

    Wugazi - It's not like I don't like the rest of the album. There's some great stuff in there. But that one song overshadows it all.

    Eleanor Friedberger - Yes. I have listened to her album. Good. Not amazing.

    ReplyDelete