Thursday, April 5, 2012

I watched this so that you don't have to - Real Housewives of Vancouver

So, a month or so back the hype machine of Real Housewives of Vancouver really hit.  And I will admit, it made me angry.  I think it was supposed to make me angry, so I guess mission accomplished.

Anyhow, I got a bit up in arms that they would glamourize the life of the wife of a should-have-been-convicted-of-murder gangster.  I can understand that they would want that notoriety.  But it still made me angry.  I had visions of watching this ridiculous shit so that I could cast shame down upon anything remotely attached to the show.  Luckily, I don't spend much time at Earl's or the Cactus Club, so it probably won't be an issue whatever happens.

So I watched this show.  And let's not fool ourselves, this show is shit and these women are idiots.  Just total fucking idiots whose redeeming qualities are buried way too far for television to see.

But I wasn't angry as I watched.  See, I think they want me to be angry.  I think they want all the rage and the "How could she!" and all the crap that goes along with it.  And the characters that these women play are just so superficially shallow that it's sad to watch.

Now, allow me to expand on that.  Yes, these woman are most likely a batch of tarts that I wouldn't wish to spend more than 5 minutes around.  But their TV character are even worse.  This show is just so painfully staged that it's hard to feel anything but sad for these ladies.  You can sense the producer off camera telling them that it's now time to argue.  You can see when he flips the switch and tells them to get drunk and act stupid.  And it's one thing for a poor loser to sell his soul for a television show.  But there's something much, much, much more troubling about a batch of people with more money than sense throwing their remaining shame away for the fame attached to a really crappy TV show.

So, I'm not going to let it bother me that these walking facelifts are poncing about town celebrating their 15th thirtieth birthday in a cloud of shame.  Just ignore them.  Please.  Ignore them.  And maybe they will go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment