Thursday, November 10, 2011

McDonald's

I'll start this post off by saying that I eat fairly well.  I make 90% of the food that I eat from ingredients bought in a grocery store.  I eat lots of vegetables and less meat than I used to.  I don't get super stressed out about reducing fat or avoiding carbs, but I think that largely avoiding pre-packaged food gives me that right.

That being said...man...I love me some fast food sometimes.  I watched Supersize Me.  I honestly think that I walked up to McDonald's and bought some french fries right afterwards.  It was like a 2-hour McDonald's commercial for me.

We watched a couple of episodes of the Jamie Oliver show where he attempts to explain to Americans that they're too fat.  At one point, he took a bunch of chicken fat, bone trimmings, gristle and bones and showed it to a bunch of school kids.  They were disgusted.  Then he ground it up in a food processor.  They were disgusted.  Then he formed it into a patty, cooked it and explained to them that was how McNuggets were made.  They wanted to eat them.  I kind of get that.

Anyhow, here's a story that McDonald's is nothing more than a commodities trader, bringing out the McRib when pork prices are unnaturally low.  I didn't eat my first McRib until about a year ago.  I didn't enjoy it.  It wasn't good.  I read about what goes into it.  It sounds terrible.  But the more I read about how gross it is, the more I want one.  I see that photo at the top of the article and I'm thinking about how badly I want some french fries.

What the hell?

1 comment:

  1. Weird. Two hours ago this article came up in my facebook feed: http://snopes.com/food/prepare/msm.asp
    And all I could think was "yum, soft serve."

    ReplyDelete