Friday, July 16, 2010

A rock critic that you want to read

So this guy, Robert Christgau, is apparently calling it quits after a long career of music writing. I started flipping through the pages on his janky looking site, and he's kind of amazing. In the sense that he's an amazing writer, first of all, but he's also mostly right most of the time. You should check out his piece on "avant-punk." He basically defines all the bands that led up to punk happening in the late 70s. The list is pretty standard now: Velvets, Iggy, MC5, Modern Lovers, etc. But the thing is, he wrote that piece in 1977. So here's a guy who saw through punk's so-called reinvention of rock when it was happening. That's points. Big points.

Anyway. You guys have any rock critics you think are worth following?

1 comment:

  1. I have to admit that I've been a bit down on reading about music lately. It doesn't hold my attention like it used to. So I have nothing to add here.

    I went and looked at this guys website. I have a hard time following it just becuase it's so ugly. My mind sees it and I can't take the words seriously. He also seems to be a few months behind on his "Consumer Reviews". But I'll forgive him that.

    ReplyDelete